KnasterKOPF
En français

Deutsche Ausgabe

Nederlands


No. 19/2007

No. 18/2005

No. 17/2004

No. 16/2003

No. 15/2002

No. 14/2001

No. 13/2000

No. 12/1999

No. 11/1998

No. 10/1997

No. 9/1997

No. 8/1996

No. 7/1995

No. 6/1992

No. 5/1991

No. 4/1991

No. 3/1990

No. 2/1990

No. 1/1989


Contents of no. 2/1990

Cover picture: Label from a packet of tobacco used by Gebr. Bestelmeyer in Nürnburg, agent for the firm of de Vries, dated 1841, from Elias Erasmus (Paul Otto/Hans H. Bockwitz): Alte Tabakzeichen. Berlin 1924, pl. 35, No. 2).



Jens Klaucke:
Clay pipes from Wustrow

Lutz Libert:
The clay-pipe factory at Weissenspring

Rüdiger J.J. Articus:
Smoking and tobacco-pipe manufacture in Schleswig-Holstein

Matthias Seeliger:
Clay-pipe makers in the region of the present GDR - amendments

Book review

Recent publications



 

 

 


 

 

Part of a pipe stem with inscription SCHONDUBE, maker unknown, ?Holland, 18th century

No. 2/1990, p. 1-8
Jens Klaucke: Clay pipes from Wustrow

The pipe fragments found in Wustrow, Lüchow-Dannenberg, although very broken, contained 20 stems bearing texts and 15 bowls bearing marks. These enabled two source areas to be identified. Dutch pipes originate, according to the marks (serpent and crowned "H") and the inscriptions on the stems ("I. GIRREGOO" and "IN GOUDA"), from the Dutch clay pipe making town of Gouda. Pipes with a mark showing the "Hanoverian horse" clearly originate from Lower Saxony but it was not possible to discover the source more accurately. One stem with the inscription "BOSSE/DANCYCH" probably does not come from Danzig but from Walbeck, which is not far away and where a clay-pipe maker named Bosse lived. One stem bearing the name "WEFERLINGEN" leaves no doubt as to its origin, but another bearing "SCHONDUBE(I)" could not be localised.

Stem fragments of pipes
made by Jan Girrebo in Gouda
and N.N. Bosse in Walbeck,
second half of 18th century
     


back

 

No. 2/1990, p. 9 ff.
Lutz Libert: The clay-pipe factory at Weissenspring

In 1765, Kienitz, a Prussian military attaché, established a clay-pipe factory in an abandoned hammer mill in Weissenspring near Frankfurt an der Oder. The clay-pipe factory was modelled on the Dutch factories. The factory produced about 70,000 clay pipes per annum around 1800 and was fortunate in being granted privileges that protected it from competition from the Netherlands as well as from products made in other Prussian factories, e.g. Rostin. The pipes were marked with the town's name and the mark on the bowl was a crowned "B", a crowned "H" or the letters "L", "W" or "Z". Marks with a mill with a water wheel, a cross and a jumping dog have also been observed. The factory was forced to close around 1835 on account of the drop in demand for clay pipes. The buildings were demolished in 1838.

 

 

  back   

 

bill

zoom

No. 2/1990, p. 11-36
Rüdiger J.J. Articus: Smoking and tobacco-pipe manufacture in Schleswig-Holstein

Written evidence documents that tobacco was smoked in Hamburg in 1595 and that Otto Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who lived in Harburg, was presented with tobacco and clay pipes by an English diplomat. Smoking spread rapidly in Schleswig-Holstein during the 30-years' war (1618-1648). This is confirmed by numerous reports and by documents originating from the customs collectors in Tönning (tobacco imports from 1627 on), Glückstadt (1634 onwards), and Itzehoe (1636 onwards). At first clay pipes were imported from Holland, and this is reflected in the pipe finds. In Schleswig-Holstein, production of clay pipes was started by English immigrants in 1641, but production ceased in the middle of the 18th century; thus, the market had to rely on products from Holland and southern Lower Saxony. As late as 1776 we find that a clay-pipe maker is mentioned in Altona, but production must have ceased there shortly before 1850. Other places where clay pipes were manufactured are mentioned in the literature, e.g. Schleswig, Meldorf, and Itzehoe. However, detailed information is only given for Itzehoe, where J. Göbel established a clay-pipe factory in 1814. Production ceased in 1869. The products of the clay-pipe makers of Schleswig-Holstein are so far very rare, while imported pipes are found not only in large quantities but also in a wide variety.


   
Dutch pipes with heel; top: with rosette on bowl, second half of 17th century; and bottom: mark on back of bowl shows King David holding a head and a sword, mid 18th century.

 

 

 

back

No. 2/1990, p. 37
Matthias Seeliger: Clay-pipe makers in the region of the present GDR - amendments

Several readers have kindly pointed out further clay-pipe production centres in the former GDR, that can be added to the list presented in KnasterKOPF No. 1/1989, p. 17-24: Berge near Havelberg, Brandenburg, Eberswalde, Havelberg, and Werder near Potsdam.

 
back


Home
KnasterKOPF
Society
Sitemap
Search
Contact us
Impressum

last update: 2008-06-06